{short description of image}


Day 4 (Horror of Horrors), 5 (the Fix)


(Day 4 - 2.5 Hours) Well day 4 approached and I found that the epoxy I used for the fillets on the interior had not cured. After countless hours of crying and screaming to my therapist I accepted the fact I made a bad batch of epoxy and decided to move on. The fillets need to be removed along with some of the cured epoxy and glass work I had just done. Even though the fillets had not cured the glass was fully cured so I could roll the hull and glass the exterior joints which needs to be done to hold the hull together while I pound, chisel, scrape and grind out the bad mix. After the hull was rolled all the edges and joints were ground flush and then tapered on the edges the width of 1 ply of wood so the 12 oz biax will not leave a high spot along all the joints. This is a good time to sight down all the joints and make sure everything is fair. I then used a 6" DA sander to round all the corners so the glass would wrap around. Tomorrow the fun starts after I roll the hull over and start to clean up my mistake...


Plywood Epoxy Stitch and Glue Design


(Day 5 - 6.5 Hours) I never had to do this before so I was armed with all kinds of tools and schemes. Finally settled on a Roto Zip to cur the corners and a 4" slick to cut the glass and pry it away from the wood. About 2" +or- actually stuck to wood and the rest floated on uncured epoxy. I found that by working one side free, I could pull or pry the other side off fairly easily. One of the problems with the slick was that occasionally it would dig into wood so that is where stopped to pull the other side free, remove the section of glass and start the process again.


{short description of image}


After the large pieces of glass were removed, I scraped off whatever uncured epoxy I could then worked on the rest of the glass where adhesion was good. I did not try to remove it all, just the bulk of it and would rely on the grinder later to remove the rest. With most of the glass gone I used a course Scotchbrite pad and lacquer thinner to scrub the joint and then wiped it dry with a rag. I sanded all the joints with a grinder and 36 grit removing any residue and glass.


Plywood Epoxy Stitch and Glue Design


So I filleted and glassed it again. This time I added hardener to the resin, it should work a bit better.


Plywood Epoxy Stitch and Glue Design


Previous

Next





{Home} {Stitch And Glue Construction} {Construction Projects} {Epoxy and Fillers} {Glossary of Terms} {Tools} {Links} {Mail}
© Joel Mill/JM Group. All rights reserved